May 10th: Mother's Day
No one deserves a day to be pampered and thanked more than all the outstanding moms out there. Being a family-run winery, we know just how important and influential moms can be not only at home, but in the workplace as well. Let's cheers over a glass of local wine to all those hardworking, independent and loving mothers!
Not sure what to get your mom this Mother's Day? We have come up with 5 thoughtful ideas that'll surely please any wine lover:
- LCBO Available Wines: We have 3 estate grown wines, all under $20, available at the LCBO. If you need a last minute present and she's a white wine drinker, support local and pick up our Pinot Gris, a refreshing, dry white. If she prefers red wine, our VQA Prince Edward County Gamay and Pinot Noir are very approachable and make versatile food wines, perfect for Mother's Day dinner. Now that the warmer weather has hit, chill the Gamay and then serve. It's a great patio red, very refreshing with flavours of bright cherry and ripe plum.
- Wine Club/ Adopt a Vineyard: The gift that keeps on giving. Any mother who enjoys a glass of wine will appreciate the thoughtfulness of a wine club. Simply order online and we'll be happy to send the first shipment to the recipients address. She'll receive 4 shipments, each including 3 exclusive bottles. This is a fantastic value and cheaper than buying a case! She'll also receive winemaker's notes, food pairing suggestions, and discounts at the winery on tours, tastings and goods. If your mom likes to be hands on and wants to learn more about wine, we have a unique Adopt a Vineyard package. She'll receive 3-4 bottles of wine from the "adopted" vineyard block and can book vineyard tasting tour to better understand what goes into every bottle. Her and a guest will also be invited to participate in the fall harvest, a fun way to spend a day in a stunning PEC vineyard. If physical labour isn't her thing, we also offer an opportunity for her and 4 guests to come in the winter and taste the wine from the barrel cellar, a rare, behind the scenes winemaking experience.
- Local Brunch Paired With our Sparkling Wines: Some of the best gifts are homemade. We can't think of a woman who doesn't enjoy a brunch with sparkling wine! We've picked a delicious Red Fife Pancake with Apples and Nuts recipe to pair with our two refreshing and bright bubblies. We love this recipe because it's delicious and it uses local ingredients, which helps support Ontario farmers. Pair this with our Sparkling Riesling or Brut, and you'll be treating your mom to a locally sourced breakfast. For more about the Sparkling Riesling or Brut, please check out our online shop.
- Mother's Day Tour and Tasting of the Winery: Book a tour online or call us and bring your mom for a tour and tasting of our historic property. She'll fall in love with the cobblestone pathways, limestone patio, and historic barn. She'll also get to try wines we are proud to have crafted. Our family is always happy to have visitors and we'll ensure your mom enjoys her day. Continue reading to find out more about tour and tasting packages.
- A Mix Case of Her Favourite Wines from our Online Shop: Use our promo code "freeshipping75" and take advantage of our free shipping promotion when you spend $75 on any online order. Treat mom to our collection of wines that are not available through the LCBO. Save her a trip to PEC and purchase some beautifully refined wines that reflect the terroir of The County.
May 9th: County Terroir Wine and Farmer's Market
We can't wait for one of The County's biggest and best events, County Terroir Wine and Farmer's Market. We love this event because it showcases how integral the farm-to-table concept is to local PEC culture and business. Join us on May 9th at the Crystal Palace to sample newly released wines, try food from local restaurants and cheese shops, and socialize while browsing through this giant farmer's market.
If you don't live in the area, certain companies such as Savvy and WineAlign are providing bus transportation from Ottawa and Toronto. You can relax in the coach bus while someone else navigates the country roads. The Savvy tour leaving from Ottawa hits Terroir and then continues on to a local brewery and winery. A Sommelier will be on board to answer any wine related questions about PEC. The WineAlign bus tour from Toronto will stop at a few wineries for food and wine tastings then continue to the Farmer's Market, all while David Lawrason and Sara D'Amato provide commentary.
Terroir will be held at the Crystal Palace, on Main Street in Picton between the hours of 11am-5pm. It's a fantastic way to try new spring releases from the wineries and sample gourmet food and preserves, all under one roof. Purchase your tickets to try the best The County has to offer.
May 16th- 18th: Victoria Day Weekend
Victoria Day Weekend officially marks the start of the busy season for wineries. We believe 2015 will be our most exciting summer yet. PEC is a great place to spend Victoria Day weekend, everything has opened for the new season and the weather is finally warm enough to get outside. We'll be open all weekend and happy to have any visitors who want to stop by to do some tastings. If you want to learn a bit more about winemaking and PEC, book at tour with us.
We have a bunch of newly released wines available this summer season, a keen staff to give tours/ tastings and we're hoping to get our picnics started up just in time for the long weekend. Our picnics are an unique, local experience. Come unwind on one of our wooden picnic benches, take a seat on the cobble stone patio or grab a blanket and we'll provide the food and wine. All the food provided will be sourced locally and prepared at the winery. We believe in local, sustainable farming so our picnic menu includes items such as charcuterie boards, summer salads and sandwiches, artisanal cheeses, and seasonal desserts. It's a great way to relax during a fun day of exploring The County.
Prince Edward County is such a splendid place to bring family and friends. We've made planning a trip easier by creating a 2015 PEC Travel Guide full of ideas on wineries to visit, places to stay, restaurants and fresh markets, beaches and outdoor activities and more. We encourage guests to see as much of The County as they can, we're a great little community with lots to offer.
May 22nd & 23rd: Terroir Run
This isn't your average race; it's a weekend of fun parties, gourmet food, local wines, and exercise. This year will mark the 5th annual Terroir Run in PEC. It's a great way to explore the backroads of our beautiful wineries. Participants will run an 11k course that'll take you through the breathtaking landscape of where our local wines are produced.
The weekend will commence with a pasta dinner at the Drake Devonshire Inn, to ensure all our runners are well fed and energized for the next day. The run on Saturday, May 23rd will begin at 9 am sharp. It's a long, yet gorgeous run with water stations and encouragement throughout the course. Athletes will be awarded with a wood-fire pizza lunch and county refreshments of wine, beer or cider for crossing the finish line. Participants will also receive a runner's kit upon registration. For added fun, wear a costume to win some fabulous prizes from Zest Kitchen Shop and Cherry Valley Studio B & B.
This year is extra special because $5 dollars from each registration will go to the Slow Food Movement and additionally, in memory of PEC's own influential winemaker Richard Karlo, $5 dollars will be donated to Quinte Humane Society.
Other events that will be happening in The County in May are:
- Spring Bird Celebration: May 16th-24th
- Annual Rotary Lilac Ride: May 24th
- Quinte's Isle Bluegrass Celebration: May 28th-31st
There's always lots going on in PEC, click here for more events happening this May.